Cranberry and orange scones
200g flour ( self raising), 10 teaspoons sugar, divided, 1 tablespoon grated orange zest, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, 75g cold butter, 125g dried cranberries, 50 ml orange juice, 50 ml double cream, 1 large egg, room temperature and 1 tablespoon milk
- orange butter:
- 110g , softened butter
- 2 to 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 7 teaspoons sugar, orange zest, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set aside. In a small bowl, combine the cranberries, orange juice, cream and egg. Add to flour mixture and stir until a soft dough forms.
- On a floured surface, gently knead 6-8 times. Pat dough into an 8-in. circle. Cut into 10 wedges. Separate wedges and place on a greased baking sheet. Brush with milk; sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake at 400° until lightly browned, 12-15 minutes. Remove to a wire rack.
- Combine glaze ingredients if desired; drizzle over scones. Combine orange butter ingredients; serve with warm scones.